- March, 1991
- The P822 collaboration, later to become NuMI/MINOS, proposes a long
baseline neutrino oscillation experiment from Fermilab to Soudan using the
Soudan 2 detector as the neutrino beam target. Download the original proposal,
in postscript format.
- June, 1993
- The P822 collaboration updated their proposal to include constructing
another detector within the Soudan 2 cavern. Download the updated proposal, in
postscript format. Here is the Spires entry.
- February, 1995
- The NuMI/MINOS collaboration is officially born with P-875, "A Long-baseline Neutrino Oscillation Experiment at Fermilab."
- November, 1997
- The Department of Energy allocates its first funds for the NUMI/MINOS project.
- June, 1999
- The groundbreaking ceremony for the MINOS hall is held. See Judy Jackson's article for more details on the event.