Procedure for Reimbursement of Travel Expenses on

University of Minnesota HEP Budgets

A description of current travel policies, including the Feb., 2006 changes, can be found here.  All expenses from your trip should be represented somewhere on the form.  The HEP Administrator auditing your worksheet should be able to determine, at a minimum, how you traveled to and from your destination (air, car), where you stayed (hotel, with a colleague), and what transportation you used while traveling (rental car, taxis, trains), even if you will not be receiving reimbursement for those expenses

Please use the following guidelines for completing your worksheet:

1. Collect receipts. You must submit the originals.  Receipts are required for ALL non-meal expenses exceeding $25.  Note: if receipts are in foreign currency, please write the US dollar amount on each receipt.  A currency converter can be found here.


2. From your favorite browser, download and fill out the University Employee Expense Worksheet.  The previous PDF form has been replaced with an Excel spreadsheet. Update regularly, as the form and items like the mileage reimbursement rate are subject to change. 


3. Some comments on filling out the Worksheet:

    a) You must include your employee/student ID number - your reimbursement cannot be processed without it. 

    b) Your address on the form should be the same as your current mailing address, as found on the University’s One Stop pages.  If you move, you must change your address by visiting

    c) “Travel Destination” is the city, state, and country (if other than US) to which you traveled.  Do not list the name of the laboratory or facility that you visited in this space.

    d) Use the “Detailed Expense Justification” section to give a brief, but non-trivial statement of the purpose of your trip.  Explain any unusual circumstances of the trip or associated expenses (e.g., “shared hotel room with Bob Roberts. Roberts charged the whole room to his credit card.”).

    e) You must provide the CUFS number to which your travel should be charged at the bottom of the “Detailed Expense Justification” section.

    f)  The primary purpose of the list is to correlate unambiguously with your submitted receipts.  Type your expense amounts in the appropriate column.  If you type a dollar amount in the “Transportation – Other Expense” or “Misc.” columns, you must provide a description of the expense in the “Detailed Description” column. 

    g) Expenses that were prepaid, such as air tickets that were charged directly to CUFS, should be listed in the “Prepaid Expenses” section, on the right-hand side of the bottom of the Worksheet, rather than in the “Travel Expenses” list.

    h) List any frequent flyer miles earned or used in the lower right-hand corner of the form.


4. When the form is finished, print it out and sign it.  Note: the form is TWO pages long.  The second page simply gives you more lines to detail expenses.  If you do not use the second page, you do NOT need to print it.  If possible, print only the first page of the form.


5. Attach your original receipts behind the form and then deposit it in the tray in Room 260.  If you are off campus, mail it to the following address:

                  HEP Administrator – Travel Reports

                  116 Church Street SE

                  University of Minnesota

                  Minneapolis, MN 55455, U.S.A.


Click here for a sample travel report.